Monday, November 21, 2011

Tian Zi Fang

I think my favorite place to go out in Shanghai is an area called Tian Zi Fang or Taikang Road in the French Concession. We have gone there about four times now. We finally went during the day so I got a few good photos. It looks like an old fashioned Chinese road. Most of the buildings here are just hideous skyscrapers that put little to no attention into their exterior aesthetic.

Tian Zi Fang has a bunch of restaurants and shops including about a half dozen Thai restaurants, a burger place, and a NY style pizza place (which unfortunately happened to be under construction the day we planned to eat there). I think when we moved to Shanghai, knowing the size of the city's population, I thought there would be a lot more areas like this. It is one of a handful of areas foreigners frequent. You see plenty of local people there too but only a small fraction of locals can afford to go to the restaurants there. I guess Shanghai is developing rapidly though, maybe by the time I leave there will be a few more areas similar to it. We tend to go to Tian Zi Fang the way we would go to center city in Philly.

















No comments:

Post a Comment